Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Bosques

 So in Mexico, dessert is usually jello, or flan, or yogurt-y-pudding-ish stuff.  They don´t really believe in chocolate, cake, or pie :(  But they make these BEAUTIFUL jello flowers by injecting the colors of jello into the jellos... yeah.  Life goal = learn how to do this!

Dear FAM and friends,

So, in Latin American countries, everyone has 2 last names... But I don´t stick out too much because almost all of the missionaries are only allowed to use 1 last name, so I´m not weird.  Just thought I´d mention that...

Ok!  This week was a quick one, but I learned a bunch!  One really important, and slightly scary thing I learned how to do is contact!  In my area right now, we don´t have too many investigators to teach, so during the day, when we don´t have teaching appointments, we go out in the street and talk to people about the gospel!  It´s slightly terrifying at first, but after you talk to the first 2 or 3 people, it´s actually kind-of fun, especially when you find someone who´s interested!  As a missionary (and member of the church) it´s part of our purpose to find those who might be seeking the gospel, but often they don´t know that they are even looking for it until you pop into their life!  Anyway, we don´t knock on a lot of doors here, partly because we´re Hermanas and partly because it´s just not the most effective way to proselyte, but street contacting is just as exciting (and you don´t have to wait for them to answer the door or slam it in your face because usually, if they don´t want to talk to you, they avoid eye contact or walk in the other direction).  Yep.  It sounds really awkward, and truly it is!  But when you´re a tall blonde walking around in Mexico wearing a dress, you can´t get much more awkward...

 My "huarache loco" which had eggs, chorizo,
some other kind of meat, cheese, and salsa
on top of a thick tortilla thing with beans
on the inside of it.  It was HOT but delicious :)


In other news, today I got to go to my first Zone activity!  There are about 14 of us in the Plazas Zone, and we are the only Hermanas (there are 3 American Elders).  So we met up at a chapel on the other side of town today and played Ultimate Frisbee with water baloons.  Then, we pretty much had a water balloon war.  It was a blast, and with about 200 very large water baloons, we all got nice and wet.  Then we took off across town to eat "huaraches locos" on a random street corner (usually we don´t eat in the street because it´s a risk, but aparently these had been tried before...we´re crossing our fingers that the whole zone doesn´t get sick tonight).  It was quite a party!



Image result for patience
Ok, spiritual thought for the week:  Patience is a virtue.  It´s so easy to get frustrated with the pace of some in life, but really, stressing out about every minute wasted never helps situations. I'm learning bit by bit to be more patient with companions, members of the church, investigators, and even the Elders, who sometimes show up to comida an hour late...grr...).  Anyway, patience is one of many important attributes of Christ, which I´m trying to master!


I love you all!  Please send me any questions, or things you´d like to hear about!

Lots of love,
Hermana Houghton

  
I finished the Book of Mormon!  Out loud!  In Spanish!  
It only took me 7 weeks!  It´s seriously the best book in the
world, and I plan on reading it over and over again for
 the rest of my life!


Can you find me?  Still the tall one!

No comments:

Post a Comment