Tuesday, February 2, 2016

FAM BAM!!

From 25 January 2016
Micro-ride selfie!




Dearest Darlingest Family,

In response to some questions and concerns from the previous week`s photos, no, we don`t have chickens, they just live right next to our house and one of the other renters in our "habitation" takes care of them, and a couple of turkeys.  The roosters crow every morning starting at about 4, but it doesn`t bother us too much, because we sleep like rocks!  Also, I got some fun mail this week from family and friends, and I just wanted to let you know how much I TRULY appreciate getting mail.  It`s the BEST! It`s so fun to hear about how things are going on your end of things, and I will try to get better at responding back when you send things my way :)  

Ok.  Fun-facts about the new area Olivos:  

1) Every day they have something called "Tianguies" on a different street in-town.  It`s basically a giant out-door market where people set up stalls/stations selling candy, clothes, fruit, meat, electronics, etc.  You name it, and it`s there.  When you walk through, it`s kind-of an overwhelming smell-sight-and-sound experience because there`s SO many things and people to look at.  Anyway, not too far away from Olivos is the biggest Tianguies in the world, in a place called San Felipe.

2) The ward here is pretty active, and they actually work a lot with the missionaries, which is AWESOME!  On Sunday we worked with the leaders in the congregation (Ward Council) to plan an activity in February to celebrate Valentine`s day and the family all in one and we`re calling it "When there`s love at Home".  It`s going to be awesome, and they`re going to make hamburgers and I might have to find a violin to do a musical number...

3) (this isn`t really about Olivos, it`s just general Mexico/Spanish fun-factness) In Mexico, "Aguas!" means "Water!" but it also means "Careful!"  So we say it a lot because it`s important to be careful.  

4) Because Hermana Saylor and I are both "gueras" (white girls) we stick out a LOT, but we use it to our advantage by "contacting with our Guera-ness" which means that when people randomly stop us in the street to ask us if we speak English or ask us where we`re from, we contact them and teach them about the gospel of Jesus Christ!  It`s a huge blessing, even if it`s a bit strange.  

illustration:  Captain Moroni
Anyway, spiritual thought for the week: Captain Moroni is my HERO!  Seriously though, I was reading through the "war chapters" of the Book of Mormon at the end of Alma this week, and I was incredibly impressed by the power and passion that Moroni puts into protecting his country and serving our Heavenly Father.  I particularly love chapters 60 and 61 of Alma, when he`s calling his fellow governor Pahoran to repentance.  One thing he says to Pahoran is something I like to apply to myself as a member of the church here on Earth.  He asks him why he is with-holding provisions from the armies of his own people, when they are literally starving to death, and it made me realize how important it is for us to share our "spiritual provisions" with those who are equally starving and might be looking for understanding of the gospel.  I know that Heavenly Father loves each and every one of His children (us) and He wants us all to have and to share the spiritual nourishment he has given us.  

I hope you`re all having a fantastic week!  I love you all and it`s VERY exciting for me to hear from you!

Lots of love,
Hermana Houghton

My new desk
(conveniently in range of the fridge!)
Zone activity in the morning!  We`re zone AnĂ huac!



No comments:

Post a Comment